Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Set Designs

I decided to design the set for the play Romeo and Juliet. Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy written early in the career of playwright William Shakespeare about two young "star-crossed lovers" whose sudden deaths ultimately unite their feuding families. It was among Shakespeare's most popular plays during his lifetime and, along with Hamlet, is one of his most frequently performed plays. Today, the title characters are regarded as archetypal young lovers. The reason why I chose the play Romeo and Juliet is that it is a very popular story that everyone knows. I would love to design a set for this famous play. It will be very fun and creativity. For my scenes, I want to include beautiful scene sets with romantic colors. This play took place in 16 century. Therefore, for my set design is going to be based around that era, most of my sets will have that dark eerily feeling for the fight scenes, for example, the sword fight between Tybalt and Mercutio and the other sword battle between Romeo and Tybalt. Another dark and eerily scene is when Romeo is talking to Juliet below the balcony. I wanted the scene to be dark because Romeo is sneaking over to her place to see her. I think it was a very brave for Romeo to sneak over to see her knowing that he can be killed for being there. For the love, scenes between Romeo and Juliet the stage color will be bright and lovely. It will have that romantic love feeling with elegant coloring. The set design for scene when Romeo discovers Juliet is dead will have that dark and sad feeling. The stage will switch back and forth with different colors themes. I will use dark stage setting to represent fighting scenes, death scenes, and light lovely stage set colors to represent love scenes.















No comments:

Post a Comment