Thursday, May 6, 2010

The play



The Journey to IUP

This is a play of two young men on their first journey to IUP. The setting takes place in two location Philadelphia pa, and Intestate 76. The two characters are Mike and John. They leave for their long journey to IUP on Friday before there semester starts.
The following scene takes place at John’s house. Mike in sleeping on the couch at John’s house waiting for John to return so that they can go to IUP.

John enters the room that Mike is sleeping in.

John: Hey, wake up I got some bad news. (Wakes up Mike)
Mike: What, what is wrong. Is it time to leave?
John: My car keeps overheating.
Mike: Why now! How we going to get to school, we have to be on campus by 12:00 noon for orientation.
John: I know, I am going to try to fix it and then we try to can leave at 4:30 in the morning.
Mike: Is there anything I can do to help.
John: No, it is cool you just go back to sleep.
Mike: You sure.
John: Yeah
Mike goes back to sleep and John begins to fix his car.
John: Yo wake up, its 4:30, lets live to school.
Mike: Ok let’s live.
John: I need you to help me put some more stuff in the car.
Mike: Your Jordan’s in the closet?
John: Yeah all 26 pairs of them.
Mike: you funny. All 26 doe
Mike puts the remaining sneakers in the car and then enters the shotgun seat; John also goes to the driver seat and starts the car.
Mike: It runs good, everything sounds cool wit the car.
John: Yeah, it should take us to Indiana with ease.
They pull off the driveway and started to head towards interstate 76.
John: I hope the trip is pleasant.
Mike: 5 hours is a very long time to be in the car.
John: Yeah I hope I do not far asleep.
Mike: if you start to feel sleepy, just gave me the car.
John: Ok when we get to i-76 I gave you the car.
Mike: That’s fine with me.
John: yeah you better not wreck my car.
Mike: yeah I will not wreck your precious Maybach. (Being sarcastic)
John: Whatever man, it’s a Lamborghini (in British accent)
Mike: Wow , I that’s crazy we bout to be college students.
John: Yeah, IUP gonna be fun.
Mike: yo we chillin with your brother and cousin tonight.
John: Yeah, real shit.
They got to the tollbooth and at 6:00am.
John: I will let you drive soon.
Beep beep beep . The car starts to overthead.
John: F**k, the car is staring to overheat again.
Mike: Damn, I thought you fix it.
John: I know this really sucks. (John pulls over the car and gets out and opens the hood)
John: Yo, can you please get me some water from the trunk.
Mike: yeah, I got you.
John: This will should help get the car get cool. ( John pours in the water in the coolant tanks)
Mike: yo on same real shit, should we turn back.
John: NO, not a good idea, we will not get to Indiana on time.
Mike: yeah I agree, I really do not want to be back home.
The car stars to run again, and they continue on their journey to IUP. 30 minutes later the car begins to overheat.
John: We are screw.
Mike: today going to be a long day.
They pull over to the size of the road.
John: We have to wait a while before we can go again. I am going to let you drive the other half.
Mike: That’s cool, I go put some water in the coolant thing.
John: Thanks man, I am so tired.
Mike: Take a nap my man; I got you with the rest of the trip.
John and Mike both got out the car and quickly switch seats.
John: Let’s the car chill for an hour. I’m going to take a nap.
Mike goes out, pours the water into the coolant, and goes back to the car. He also takes a short nap. An hour later, he wakes up and turns the car on. The car starts and he begins to drive off. John is still asleep. Mike drives the car for another two hours on the interstate. He approaches the tollbooth at Bedford. The machine on the tollbooth ask for the ticket. Mike hesitates, because he knows he lost the stupid ticket. Mike angrily pays the extra 20 dollars for the fare. He pulls into a gas station and John begins to wake up.
John: Wow! That nap felt extra good.
Mike: That’s good.
John: I needed that …. How the car running
Mike: I let the car cool for an hour and when I turn on the car, the engine ran smooth.
John: You pour water into the coolant right.
Mike: Yeah.
John: How much was the toll.
Mike… 20 dollars.
John: What it was supposed to be 10 dollars and 59 cents. (Trying to sound like terry crews from Everyone hates Chris show)
Mike: I know I think I misplace the ticket.
John: Are you serious, why, damn….. well here’s ten dollars. You own me .
Mike: yeah, I know anyways, I’m hungry trying to eat Wendy’s or McDonald’s.
John: Does not matter to man, we can get at Sheetz if you want. You paying right.
Mike: yeah whatever man.
They both want to McDonald’s and order value meals. After the long breakfast Mike, pass the car to John. Saying is he is tired. John takes the car and pulls off. Mike begins to take a nap. John drives in the direction to Indiana. Two hours later in pulls into the township.
John: Mike wake up were here. IUP!!! ( wakes up Mike)
Mike: Oh, what, what happen.
John: look outside.
Mike: Oh where we at this Indiana.
John: yeah were here.
Mike: Oh, wow this is nice, look at the nice pretty girls.
John: Whatever you know you still scare to talk to them.
Mike: oh no, not today, high school was yesterday my son. Imma whole new person!
John: My ding ding, whole new person my ass!
They pull into the campus dorm called Esch hall. As they get out the car, Mike looks back at the car seat and discovers the ticket.
Mike: yo, you where seating on the ticket when you were sleeping.
John: I was, oops, my bad; mhmm let’s go to our room.
Mike: This is going to one long semester.
John: yeah brotha, now help me with my sneakers.
Mike laughs and runs help John brings the stuff into the dorm.
They both register at the front desk and got the keys to the room. Once in the room they realize that they where suppose to be at the HUB for orientation at 12 noon. They both got scare and made the way to the orientation place. It was too late the program was open. They had missed everything. Later on that night, they want to their first college party.
Stage fades black.

No comments:

Post a Comment