Friday, May 7, 2010

Play Review



The play that I attended this semester is “A servant to Two Masters” I saw this play at the Waller hall theatre center at IUP. I think the way the theatre looks is shabby; the place needs to be more appealing to attract more guess from outside the campus. The cost of the show was $14 for adults and $8 with an I-card for students. This was the first live theatre I have actually been to. I found the experience to be very wonderful. At first, I was shock how dark it got before the play started. Then once the play started, the stage was illuminated with a very bright light. Then when the play started, I thought it was funny how they were talking. Then when I saw them in mask, I was almost about to laugh. Then I realize it must be very hard to talk like that thought-out the whole play. In the play started a little slow, but eventually the more, the story unfolded the more interesting it got. I was surprise of how the characters were able to project their voice without the use of a microphone. What I thought was amazing was how the scene change. The sliding of the stage back and forth between scenes was cool. The costumes were very creative; I like how they made it to match everyone character. I light the different type of hairstyles. My favorite costume was Truffaldino’s, he reminds me of a clown in the circus.


This play is a comic play about a servant who thinks he can outsmart everyone by serving two masters. This is funny because no servant can serve two masters. The two masters he was serving were Beatrice and Florindo. Truffaldino is the name of the servant. The twist of the play was when the character Federigo, was actually Beatrice disguised as a man. The main purpose of her deception was to look for her true lover Florindo. They both end up staying in the same castle. They goofily avoid seeing each other. Truffladino was given a chest by both of his masters. Being inquisitive has he is he decided to open both chest and dig around. Once he does that, he hears someone coming so he randomly starts tossing the clothes in any chest. Florindo asks for his coat and discovers a picture of him, which he had given this picture to Beatrice. He thinks she die and he runs off crying in tears. Beatrice comes in and also asks for a book from her chest. Once she receives the book, she realizes it was Florindo notebook. She also gets emotional thinking that he is dead. They both attempted to commit suicide, by hanging themselves. During the process, they but see each other. Thinking that each other is died, they both greet each other in a romantic way. Because Truffaldino had mixed up their clothes, they were able to find each other. At the end of the play Truffaldino ends up marring Smeraldina.
The actor and actresses were very good at acting. The acting in the play was very funny. I find myself laughing hysterically. The way they would talk and hold these weird posing was absolutely funny. The most funniest part I thought was funny was when Truffaldino got mad and walk back into the door on the right side of the stage while the stage was changing to another scene. Just then he appears out of nowhere on the right side of the stage with his head turn back talking angrily. It was just funny to see that because he must have ran really fast to the other side to start the next scene. The actor who played the main character, Trufffaldino, did a very good job. Sean Barrett was the actor. He did a very good job by getting into his character. It was stated that Truffaldino character was suppose to be a fool and not a bright person. Sean Barrett acting all goofy throughout the play made him a good actor. The actress who played Smeraldina really got into her character. Natalie Palamides brought out the sassiness. She and Sean Barrett brought favor to the play.

After seeing this play I love it, it was very entertaining the actors and actresses did act out their characters perfectly. I want online to watch another play with different cast and they too acting the same way the IUP actors and actresses did.

No comments:

Post a Comment